Confessions of a Fauf

Monday, January 05, 2009

Fine in '09

I think I have somewhat of a New Year's Resolution. Goes along with this last year's resolution. I plan to still read a book a month at least, but my resolution this year is to read at least six great classics in literature and read a few ancient books I have that I have absolutely no idea what they're about! (ie, this very old book called Why Not? Seriously...) I've been kicking off the new year with Count of Monte Cristo--excellent! I will be putting a list together of great classics to read this year; please contribute.

Next part of my New Year's resolution is to memorize a passage of scripture a month. I believe this is one area in my life that always needs to be enriched!

Whoo-hoo! Let the New Year begin!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some classic books-The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie,
10 Little Indians,Rebecca,Great Expectations,The
Catcher in the Rye, From Here To Eternity,Uncle Tom's
Cabin, Tess of the Dubervilles,Siddhartha,Madame Bovary,For Whom the Bell Tolls,Crime and Punishment,
Rebecca,Mere Christianity,The Maltese Falcon

....Admire your outlook and searching...Happy '09

8:26 PM  
Blogger Susie (Shaw) Fitler said...

The Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila
I echo Uncle Tom's Cabin (i have a copy)
Little Women

10:16 PM  
Blogger Morgan Jane said...

Good goal. I need to start memorizing Scripture too, so perhaps we could tag team on this for a bit of support?

And in reading news, Ruth started a book club on Goodreads that's going through the classics specifically. We're pretty exclusive, but I think you'd be allowed to join if you wanted. :)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend Good Housekeeping Magazine and
The Secret Life of Bees

12:27 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I love Count Of Monte Cristo. Well the movie that is. I can imagine the book is even better! I think reading is a big one on my list. Im very sad to admit that Im pretty sure I didnt read a book all year. wow. thats horrible! I will say that my favorite book of all time is Redeeming love by Francine Rivers. It takes place in the 1850's and reflects the book of Hosea . If you havnt read that yet I highly recommend it!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For classics I recommend Anna Karenina (sp?), and of course at least one Jane Austin book - take your pick. I might even have some you can borrow! Let me know if you want me to check if I have them. I also recently read the Glass Castle (not a classic) and it was great.
I admire your "outlook and searching" too! The only resolution I have made is to lose weight and I've started my diet. Even if that's the only good thing I do this year - I'll be happy!
Take care and good luck on your plans for 2009!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so delightful. But I mean honestly... I guess you could just listen to Parker's list... silly. Or my dad's. Also--ANNA CRIPPA IS HERE! We need to talk to her about our finances.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home