Confessions of a Fauf

Monday, March 03, 2008

Due for a Raise

Last week our school had a fundraiser at Klondike's Pizza. We got 15% of all sales. And us teachers signed up to serve the pizza for hour increments. We had tip jars, and whatever money went into the tip jar is given straight to us to use for our classroom! So I showed up at 5pm to serve for an hour. I got to wear a blue apron, stab receipts on the keeper, deliver the pizzas to the tables, and shout "Behind!" whenever I was walking behind someone. I'm not gonna lie, it was kinda tons of fun. But it was kinda complicated too! I had to read the ticket, check the order, then go out into the crowds looking for numbers on tables. By the end of the hour, I got good enough to carry a large pizza in one hand! Several customers kept asking me things like "Can I have change?" or "Can you tell me about your specials?" and I'd say I wasn't a regular employee, and they'd look at me kind of funny. Gosh, pull back my hair, put on some jeans, stick me in a pizza parlor, and everyone thinks I'm some college student working for her tuition!

I have to say as fun as it was, I'd take a group of 22 kids any day! I can manage a group of students and teach them their multiplication facts, but working in a pizza parlor is so much more taxing! I guess it only goes to show that everyone's job is important and worthy of recognition. (Who knows if that's true--I just made that up on the spot here!)

Anyways, hooray for you and the work you do, whether you deliver pizzas, serve coffee, answer phones, inforce the law, or teach children. The world wouldn't be the same without you doing that job!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I'm still upset that they didn't even give you a free pizza. You would read them a free story if they came to your hood. You should go in there and demand a pizza or 2 hours wages.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Morgan Jane said...

A very diplomatic blog, Farah.

I'm glad you enjoyed working at a pizza joint so much. When you have kids, you can work there 2 nights a week, just to get out.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah for hard workers,one and all. Now go out there and have some well deserved fun! -with or without any tips,bonuses, or pizza...Is Jen offering to babysit or is that just my imagination?

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Jen and morgan can take turns-one night a week each so you can relax more on your special nights out. xxx Married and Broke

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said nothing about babysitting. I will help you stand up for your right to a free pizza though. Besides, Farah has already made it clear that I can't babysit her kids because I'm going to be a crazy aunt.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Susie (Shaw) Fitler said...

me tell you lattes at 5am can be odd. and a 8am rush yelling behind you, hot water, quad shot 2pump mocha 1 pump rasberry, lt foam, extra whip, 180' ????? who are these people????

miss you (o;
did you get BIG bucks?

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home