Confessions of a Fauf

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Resolving to Make a Resolution

A confession of Fauf: I don't usually make resolutions, I make goals. And for some reason because I call them goals I end up accomplishing them more often than if I called them resolutions. I have always been a goal-minded person, so setting goals for each new year works for someone like the Fauf. In the past I've sat down every New Year's Eve and made my goals. And I put them into categories (being a very organized Fauf and all). The categories were usually the following:

Spiritual (in which I might set a goal of improving my prayer life, or going on another mission trip.)

Academic (usually having something to do with completing a degree, etc.)

Financial (like pay off my credit card or something.)

Personal (Write more, paint more, learn to cook, etc.)

But for some reason this year, I just didn't do that. I don't know if it's because now that I'm married, life is simpler and I just didn't need to categorize my life anymore. Or perhaps because I have reached that age (25) where I am more content with my life. Or maybe I've actually reached all those goals and see no other goals I need to meet! I really don't know what it is.

On the contrary, this year I did something new for Fauf: I made a resolution! I'm sure I should have more than one, but this was the first one that came to mind and might be the only one I need this year: I have resolved to read at least one book a month. I'm always saying I need to read more and there are always all these titles I want to explore. So there's my resolution. I've kicked off the year with a children's novel called "The Mysterious Benedict Society". In addition, the reason I am claiming this resolution on this blog is to have some accountability. If I do not post a blog at least once a month that features a book review, then you have every right to call me out on it. There.

Happy New Year!

4 Comments:

Blogger Morgan Jane said...

In Farah's defense of her children literature...it's quite long. And I like teenage romance books about vampires, so really, who are we to judge? So excited to read all your reviews. And don't worry, I'll call you out if there's no post!

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great idea and resolution in this day of tv,dvds, and video games...kudos to the Fauf

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read war and peace. And write a new blog.
~Parker

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Or WAR-WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? By Make- My-Day
Michael Parker

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home