Confessions of a Fauf

Monday, May 15, 2006

Kids' Day My Eye!

When I was little, I used to ask my mom on Mother's Day, "Why don't they have a Kids' Day?" (I asked the same question on Father's Day, too). And my mom would say, "Every day is kids' day." Sound familiar? I used to get upset and think that that could not possibly be true when every day I had to feed the dog, clean my room, and do schoolwork. Even now that I am an adult, I've realized that it is still

NOT true!

Some of my students have tougher days than I do and they're only seven and eight years old. Let's compare a day of one of my students to a day of mine:

6:30am--Marcus is dropped off at day care at school. I am in the shower.
7:30am--Marcus has to choose teams for dodgeball. I am in staff devotions.
8:15am--Marcus lines up and gets accidentally shoved by a fifth grader. I am greeted by hugs.
10:40am--Marcus forgets his snack, so has to wait in a long line at the snack bar. I get free Oreos from Jon who likes to share with me.
10:45am--Because he had to wait in line, Marcus misses being chosen for dodgeball. I chit chat with fellow teachers.
1:00--3:00pm--Marcus has to listen, concentrate, think, etc. I get to talk.
3:00--5:30--Marcus is in day care. I get to leave campus.
6:30--Marcus has to eat green bean cassarole for dinner. I get to fix my own dinner.
7:30--8:30pm--Marcus has to do homework. I get to watch TV.
9:00pm--Marcus climbs into bed. I climb into bed.

SEE? A kid's life is not comparable to a Mother's Day everyday! So now I challenge you to stand up for kids. If you hear an adult say that everyday is Kids' Day, refute that lame excuse for no such holidays. Kid lovers of the world unite!

PS (Okay, so maybe this is a little slanted. Honestly, I do not assign an hour's worth of homework every night. When it comes to homework, students love me. And I don't watch an hour of TV every night. I'm busy too. And I'm not positive Marcus' mom makes green bean cassarole...but she could!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parker, a question for you: what is your blogspot address and why do you always sign anonymous?

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, i do not have a blogspot. Due to personal reasons, i have vowed never to get a blogspot, even upon punishment of death. Thus, i sign on as anonymous because i dont have an account to sign into.
~Parker

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh man,my mom pulled the "everyday is kids day" card on me once, didn't go over well! She lied to me about Santa, the Easter Bunny,the Tooth Fairy, there was no way I was falling for it that time. :o) Miss you Fauf

9:30 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I miss you. I was sad last night, and now I feel like we've become more tragic than Marcus. Perhaps we could invent a couples day? Oh drat--that's Valentine's Day. Doh.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home