Confessions of a Fauf

Monday, March 31, 2008

Lord of the Rings Book Review

I know I promised that you wouldn't read anything about that incredibly long book called the Lord of the Rings at least until April. Well, it is almost April, and besides I finished it this past week. You may think that's all I did was read that book in order to finish it; not really. I didn't have that much left. Anyways, so here's my book review of Tolkein's trilogy:

The Fellowship of the Ring: There are many long paragraphs describing the landscape and the looonnnggg and slllooowww traveling of the Hobbits. Once the group gets to the Mines of Moriah, it really picks up. There are alot of good explanations for things, such as why elves and dwarves dislike each other, making the friendship between Legolas and Gimli that much more endearing. Overall, I gave it three stars. If you can endure the first half, you'll enjoy the rest immensely.

Two Towers: By far the best of the trilogy. The first half focuses on Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli and their adventures with tracking down the kidnapped Hobbits, finding Gandalf, and defending Helm's Deep. I was surprised by Sauramon, and what a crazy mad-man of a wizard he is! The second half focuses on Frodo and Sam and Gollum. Gollum was by far the most entertaining to read. My favorite line of his: "Wraiths! Wraiths on wings!" This book really draws you into Middle Earth and the characters. I gave it five stars. You also come to appreciate Tolkein's brilliant writing and subtle humor.

Return of the King: This book was like reading a history book! The battles and the conversations were quite dull and long. Frodo and Sam's part of the quest was also long and laborious. There were a few highlights here and there, but I did struggle through it. By then I just wanted Frodo to destroy the ring and everyone to live happily ever after. Much like the movie, the ending goes on too long as well. I gave it three stars.

Overall, they are masterpieces of great writing and imagination. I think the running theme through the trilogy was about laying aside differences to be unified in a common cause to fight for and save what is worth saving. The lands of Middle Earth played out as characters themselves in an attempt to show the reader why it was worth saving via lost lives and torture. The message was powerful with some Christian application, but beyond that it was just a great set of novels to read. The vocab and writing style were superb. Although laborious at times, I do recommend it for enrichening you library!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog was long and laborious. Just kidding, but I am glad you finished your LOTR because I was sick of seeing on the nightstand. Thank God Sherlock Holmes is a reasonable sized book.

-The Husband

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah,Baker Street,London fogs, and good ol Watson are perfect counterfoils-and welcome light relief-from the deep darknesses of the Rings... Hurry, the games already afoot! Don't miss The Speckled Band!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this was a first for me. I never read this genre and picked it up because of the report on The Today Show. Call me a simpleton, but I was captivated by the first book. Yeah, there was a lot of repetition, but I was intrigued to read more. I bought the second one and mid-way through it really, really got annoying. It was boring and ridiculous. Ok, I'm a gluten for punishiment --- dare I roll my eyes --- I bought the third one. Honestly, I did enjoy the way the story turned in the third. I'm 90% through. Yeah, it was slow in places and boring in places. I think I'm hooked though. Any recommendations on others in this genre? I related to the passion these two felt for each other; I enjoyed the sex; I enjoyed the tenderness and love. I want to read more, but from a more skilled author.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home