Confessions of a Fauf

Friday, August 15, 2008

New Comedy

I think there's been a major shift in TV comedy. The recent trend is very character driven with situations that result from these quirky characters. It's all very random and indy, but utterly hilarious. Let's consider 30 Rock, The Office, Arrested Development, and even How I Met Your Mother. Full of quirky ridiculous characters that affect equal situations. I'm watching FRIENDS right now, and while I'll always love them, I see how different the comedy is and how much it's changed. While FRIENDS has a lovable cast of characters, it's more situation driven. Situations that affect the characters, most comedy coming from one-linders delivered as opposed to ridiculous lines uttered by ridiculous characters. And let's not forget the new element of comedy in all these new shows: awkwardness! Anyways, I am enjoying the new trend in comedy immensely as I laugh at Kenneth the Page, or die over Dwight, or hold my sides over Michael Bluth's scooter-riding brother Job!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susie (Shaw) Fitler said...

MIIIIICCCCCHHHHAAAAEEEEELLLLL........(in Job's ridiculous accent)
Yes yes the series is based in my former ridiculous county...yes i'm talking about the orange curtain of ORANGE COUNTY (Balboa Island to be precise home of the banana stand and Newport home of the Bluths!)
Cheers to Arrested Development THE MOVIE!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers still for CHEERS and SEINFELD........

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I would just like to point out that aside from How I Met Your Mother, I introduced you to those hilarious shows. And even if I wasn't the catalyst for your discovery of 30 rock, I was the one who made it come alive. Now, I will quote each show for you.

"Then why don't you marry and ice cream sandwich!?"
"Fine, I'll do it. But only for the attention."
"I am 99 percent sure that that is not the real ben franklin."

And this is for your new favorite show that we are keeping on the DL...
"I don't know, maybe because he said,'Ow, ow, a falcon took my eyeball!'"

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home