Confessions of a Fauf

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bump in the week

I was thinking how we come to define days not really by their names (Monday, Tuesday, etc.) but by the things we do on those days. That's the reason we get so disoriented when we're on vacation not doing our normal daily grind. This new insight just answered one of my long-pondered questions: how would I keep track of time if I were shipwrecked and stranded on a deserted island with no concept of what day it was??? I guess I would assigned certain tasks to each new day. After so many days (it wouldn't have to be seven, I could make a five day week if I wanted to), then I would label those days based on what I did. So the day that I spent my time gathering food might be labeled Numday. The days I dove for pearls might be Wetsday. They days I sun bathed might be Fryday. And the days I sat on the beach looking for passing ships would be Sat-thereday. And so on. I'm glad I've come up with a solution just in case of shipwreck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

What of the days where you dream of Michael? Is there no time for such things?

6:37 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

And what of strange days where a boyfriend comes to surprise you? Shall you call those, Surprisedays or Fundays?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Don't kill me. I like those pictures on my blog.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home